Friday, January 23, 2015

So many projects

I seem to have a lot of projects on the go all of the time and there are plenty more out there that I can't wait to start.  It's getting to the point where I'm having a hard time keeping track of them myself so what better way to do that and allow my friends to see what I'm working on than to keep track of them in a blog.  I will start with the ones I am working on right now and give me a few days and I'm sure that will have changed or I will have added another one.  Sometimes when I am working on a large project I need to take a break to feel a sense of accomplishment.  I also tend to change patterns to suit my taste anyway so it will be interesting to watch my ideas develop over time.

The first one I will show you is a blackwork project from is from the February 2014 issue of Just Cross-stitch magazine.  The project is called Miscellany in Red.  I took a picture of the sample provided in the magazine and posted it here.






This project I tend to take with me in my bag so that I have it if I sit somewhere like doctor's offices or work or if I'm in the car or something.  Here are the pictures of what I have stitched so far.






As you can see I have changed the colors quite a bit but I am loving it.  This seems like a bigger project but I love working on blackwork as it is quicker compared to the full x's of cross stitch.  I will update this one in a little while.

SAL (Stitch A Long)

The next project I am working on is a SAL from Love Thy Thread (LTT).  This was a gift from my friend Clare and she purchased the pattern as well so we are working on it together.  Unfortunately, Love Thy Thread went out of business in December 2014 but they had some awesome patterns.  Here is the sample project provided by the LTT website.


The name of this pattern is called Stained Glass and I can't wait to see this one come together.  Here are my progress pictures for this project.




I changed up the all blackness by using varigated thread.  Varigated thread means it changes on the strand from light to dark instead of being all one color.  I am loving the effect this gives the project.  It has been very challenging for me to figure out where one color should end and where the next one should begin since the chart is based on just one color.  I am thinking of adding a single shade similar to the section for this one but not sure how it would make it work if it's close to a part of the varigated part.  I have a long way to go to figure that out though.

HAED (Heaven and Earth Designs)

The final project I am working on is called Sapphire.  This is a chart from the heaven and earth designs website which has some amazing charts.  The projects are very large in size but are all full cross stitches, no backstitching or french knots (which I can't do anyways).  This chart was a gift from my very good friend Sherry a few years ago.  I had to put it away for long periods of time here and there so it's taking me awhile.  Although for a serial starter like myself it's a big accomplishment that I am working on this one still.  I plan to finish it but it's still going to be a long time.  Here is the sample from the heaven and earth designs website.



This chart is gorgeous and very large.  To give you an example of the different, the Stained Glass SAL project is 16 pages.  This project is 42 pages.  I am currently on page 4.  The artist for this is Rachel Anderson and this is her birthstone fairy Sapphire for September.  I would love to be able to stitch all 12 months but I will need to stitch a lot more on it and live to be about 900 to be able to do that probably.

Most recent purchase

I am a cash only type person.  I have never had a credit card or debit card and I normally pay cash for everything.  This does two things by allowing me to not rack up a lot of debt and I always make sure my bills and groceries are paid for first then decide how much I am going to spend on extras.  It works out pretty well and I also know that I cannot purchase anything online.  I like to purchase things from small businesses versus big box stores so it also helps me with keeping what I spend in my own community.  With that said, I actually purchased my first ever HAED chart.  I ended up getting The Little Cake Shop by Aimee Stewart.  Here is the sample picture taken from the HAED website.


I adore all of the bright colors in this one and I wanted it as soon as I saw it.  I will slowly be buying the supplies to stitch this with each paycheck so it will be a bit before I can start stitching it.  I hope to get my fabric and at least the threads for the first page in the next month or so.  I plan to stitch this on 16 count Aida fabric.  I can't wait to get started on this one.  You know it's special if I ordered something online!

I have some finished that I will dig out of my tote so you can see some of what I have completed.

~Nat~

No comments:

Post a Comment